Bonsai Tree Care Feeding Watering Pruning Position
Bonsai tree care is often considered the most important aspect in the Art of Bonsai.
It is not the display in isolation that is an art form.
Without a top quality tree specimen, the display will not meet required expectations and therefor not considered suitable as Bonsai art.
Bonsai care and maintenance is essential.
Looking after your Bonsai Penjing tree is not as difficult as most believe and with the correct Bonsai tree care tools anything is possible.
There are 4 main areas of Bonsai tree care
Watering your Bonsai tree does depend a lot on it’s position, is it in the garden or in the home?
A general rule of thumb is just like any other plant, the soil should be ‘just’ moist.
But this simple explanation is not always the way, it also depends on the species of your tree.
Some tree’s like plenty of water – Willow for instance, whilst some require less.
Monitor your Bonsai tree carefully and water it if the soil is slightly dry.
2. Feeding your Bonsai tree
Bonsai trees are normally in small pots so regular feeding – fertilizing is needed in order to replenish nutrients that are leached away through watering.
Food is also essential for a healthy Bonsai tree.
There are proprietary Bonsai Fertilisers on the market and these are often the best solution for the novice as they provide clear instruction.
Be very careful not to use too much, less is more in this case.
Little and often is best.
Follow the instructions to the letter on the packet.
3. Pruning your Bonsai tree
This is the area that, by a mile, is the most important in terms of condition and display attractiveness.
This is not something that is easily conveyed in words.
Take your time and explore the Web for examples, Have a look here for my Bonsai Tree pruning. or video of Leaf pruning a bonsai in stages or a Bonsai tree pruning by a Chinese bonsai nurseryman
I suggest you visit a Bonsai nursery or display area, a Bonsai show or join a club and try to glean Bonsai Tree pruning first hand from those doing it.
4. Positioning your Bonsai Penjing display
Most importantly, the temperature and the sunlight levels need careful consideration.
Winter sun is cooler, thereby influencing the temperature around your Bonsai Tree.
Deciding on the position of your Bonsai Penjing display is often critical for the overall health of the living tree.
Depending on the Genus used it follows that tender indoor trees are placed in the warmer environment.
On the other hand, hardy outdoor Bonsai trees generally tolerate much lower temperatures and as you would expect, place them outside.
Once again, as a general rule of thumb, most species of Bonsai or Penjing trees prefer a bright spot, with a degree of direct sunlight.
Best Seller Bonsai Tools and Equipment
- Planters' Choice Bonsai Starter Kit - the Complete Kit to Easily Grow 4 Bonsai Trees from Seed with Comprehensive Guide & Bamboo Plant Markers - Unique Gift Idea
- BambooMN Bonsai Tree Pruning Trimming Starter Tool Kit - Leaf Trimmers (Set of 3) and Bamboo Rake
- Bonsai Set 8 Pcs - Include Pruner,Fold Scissors,Mini Rake,Bud & Leaf Trimmer Set by ZELAR MADE
- Bonsai Pruning Scissors, Sago Brothers Pruning Shears for Bud and Leaves Trimmer 5 PCS
- Vremi Garden Pruning Shears - Heavy Duty Garden Clippers with Rust Proof Stainless Steel Blades - Handheld Gardening Tools Bypass Pruner Shears (Double)
- Mkono Succulent Tools 7pcs Mini Garden Hand Tools Fairy Gardening Tools Set